Monday, November 22, 2010

Kanye's Production

It's November 22nd, which means Kanye West's new album, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy has dropped and I'm giving it the full listen that it deserves. Listening to this album made me realize something about Kanye: He is a genius. Now, we all heard that before, "'Ye makes beautiful music, etc etc" and I agree, but thats not what I'm referring to. It's more of the fact that since Kanye views his music as art, he just doesn't want you to listen to it, he wants you to appreciate it and let the production soak into your brain cells. The way he does this is by just letting the beat ride out for a minute or two. He can literally be in the middle of the song, and you won't hear any lyrics just production. I've noticed this in some of his previous works, but lately its becoming more prevalent. A few examples of this are presented in tracks like We Major (Late Registration), Say You Will (808s and Heartbreaks), Devil In A New Dress (My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy) and even on the Rick Ross collab, Live Fast, Die Young (Teflon Don). I already think Kanye is an amazing producer but this decision of allowing the orchestration/production at times be more of a star then the words is genius. Because lets be real, depending on the artist 90% of the time if the beat is terrible it doesn't matter how amazing or lack of creativity the lyrics are. Anyways, let me get back to listening to this album, I didn't want to waste a thought of this magnitude on 140 characters.

No comments: