Monday, December 13, 2010

Year In Review: Part 1

Can you believe it's already mid-December? Seriously, where did the first half of my month go? Even better, where did my year even go? The expression time flys definitely shouldn't be overlooked. But I'm not here to talk about time gone and time lost, I'm here to talk about everything that has released within the last year aka Year In Review.

Music, Movies, Games, etc, etc. As I'm writing this, I'm trying to debate on whether I want to include everything on this one blog or separate my thoughts into other pieces. I guess we will find out together.


Mixtapes

This year has been huge for artists and mixtapes. Mixtapes are the perfect way to increase your buzz, gain new listeners and keep your current audience happy with new music. Whether it is original tracks or jacking of a popular beat; if your album is delayed, you better drop a mixtape.

Here are my top 3 ( no particular order ) and have been in constant rotation since they were released.

Wiz Khalifa - Kush and OJ

Big Sean - Finally Famous, Vol 3.: B.I.G

J.Cole - Friday Night Lights


Now, I know that there are tons of other mixtapes that probably should be on this list, i.e. Big Krit - Krit Waz Here or Joe Budden's Mood Muzik 4, but the three I mentioned were the ones that I listened to on the regos.


Albums

Collections of music that artists feel are good enough to be released and sold. Albums contain original music and are highly anticipated.

Drake - Thank Me Later

Rick Ross - Teflon Don

Eminem - Recovery

Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

Diddy Dirty Money - Last Train To Paris



Songs

Lets keep it simple: These are bangers, tracks that you love to hear in the club, in the car, in the gym. It doesn't matter where, but when it comes on, its what many people like to claim it as "My Jam"

Wale, Waka Flocka, Roscoe Dash - No Hands

Wiz Khalifa - Black and Yellow

Waka Flocka, Rick Ross, Diddy, Gucci Mane - Oh Lets Do It Remix

Rick Ross - BMF/MC Hammer

Drake, Lil Wayne - Miss Me

Lil Wayne - I'm Single


Collection of Released Music

Lastly, it seems that everyone leaks/releases music to build a buzz of upcoming music. Kanye had a genius-level marketing plan to 1. build himself a buzz and 2. repair his tarnished reputation. The creation of G.O.O.D Fridays was probably one of the smartest things an artist has done for controlling the release of their music. Ever since Kanye proposed and effectively released a new track every friday, other artists have been imitating the act, i.e. Swizz Beatz - Monster Mondays, Lloyd Banks - Blue Fridays, etc. And what makes things better, every track that Kanye released for G.O.O.D Fridays has been outstanding.


Woo, I didn't think I was going to write that much. I guess I will allow this blog to represent the music of 2010 and my next will do movies or what not. Until next time then


Oh yeah, 6 Days Left.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

not too sure i would of included Miss Me