Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Year in Review: Part 2

Day two of my Year in Review. Yesterday I focused on 2010's music releases and today I'm going to attempt to review this year's movies and television. Please forgive me if I miss something crucial, I've seen a hell of a lot of movies this year and watched even more TV, so I doubt that I will be able to remember each and everything.

Movies

As I stated in the previous paragraph, I've seen a large amount of movies. There was a point where I went to the movies every week, if not every other week. I think the only people to see more movies than me this year would be my parents, they see EVERYTHING.

In my list, I will include movies that had great story lines, great action, hilarity, etc. Which means, there will be some movies that will probably never be nominated to receive an award, but is just entertaining.

Inception

The Losers

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1

Despicable Me

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

The Expendables

Iron Man 2

The A-Team

Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps

The Book of Eli

Date Night

The Karate Kid

Tron Legacy (even though I haven't seen it yet, I already know its going to be great)

Television

This year there were a lot of returning shows as well as an influx of new series. We had gold stars like Hawaii 5-0 and duds like Law and Order: LA. I could include everything under the sun, but I think I'm going to stick with the ones I happen to enjoy.

The Walking Dead - AMC

Hawaii 5-0 - CBS

Detroit 1-8-7 - ABC

SuperNatural - CW

The Venture Bros. - Adult Swim

Two and a Half Men - CBS

Law and Order: SVU

Burn Notice - USA

The Boondocks - Adult Swim

Entourage - HBO

Community - NBC

Outstanding Series

As stated before, there were some good shows on TV this year, however I wanted to single out two real quick. The first being The Walking Dead. The series is based off a comic book of the same name and premiered on Halloween night and chronicles the lives of a group of people trying to survive the zombie apocalypse. What makes the series so good is not just the fear of zombies, but the inner and outer turmoil of the characters. The first season is only 6 episodes long, but after an amazing debut (AMC's highest rated show ever), a second season of 13 episodes has been confirmed. If you haven't had the chance to check it out, I suggest that you do.

The second series I wanted to comment on was The Boondocks. I don't think I have to give any back story on The Boondocks other than that 1. its an amazing animated show and 2. it takes forever and a day to make. This season isn't any different. The animation has gotten better and the show creators are taking more risks with their topics and I love it. The Boondocks is one of few shows that is not scared to satire things/people that are loved or hated. For example, the Obama Supporter episode (1st episode, "It's A Black President, Huey Freeman") is a perfect example. The language is harsh, the topics are intelligent and it is all done with a humorous touch; that's what I call a trifecta. And they say cartoons are for kids.

Day 2 of my Year in Review has concluded. I probably missed a few things, but guess what, I'm only human. Next up, electronic home video games or just video games for you nerds.

oh yeah, 5 days.

No comments: